Thursday, September 4, 2014

THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUTH

I recently took this Facebook quiz:



After answering the questions, they figured I was a male in my late teens.  Not even close! It did concern me that using nail polish and moisturizer placed me in that category.  In fact, I wouldn't even want to go back to my youth.  I love being my age.  The American mindset, however, seems to be on an endless pursuit of youth.  That quest carries with it a guaranteed failure rate of 100%. 

Growing old is not so bad when you consider the alternative.   Actually the alternative is even better!

Now I might be on a quest to feel younger.  That may be a clue as to the quiz guessing my  age was wrong.  We can control some of the areas that affect how we feel.  Here are some ideas I ran across, most of which I do!


  • Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down. Don't be a grouch.
  • Keep learning.  Learn more about computers, crafts, gardening, whatever you enjoy. Never let your brain get idle.
  • Surround yourself with what you love. Your home is your refuge so if it's music, pets, family, plants or hobbies, fill it with enjoyment.
  • Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.  If you have a friend who makes you belly laugh, spend lots of time together.


  • When tears happen, endure, grieve and move on. The only person who is with us throughout life is ourselves.  So live while you are alive.
  • Cherish your health. If it's good, preserve it.  If it's unstable, improve it.  If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
  • Try everything twice. Found on a woman's tombstone: "Tried everything twice.  Loved it both times."
  • Don't take guilt trips. Try shopping trips, vacation trips, even trips abroad. . .but never take guilt trips.
  • Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.
  • Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second chance. Lost time can never be found. Let it go!
  • Be kinder than necessary.  Everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

While the Hollywood set chases the illusion of looking younger, they often appear more like aliens to me.

Michael Jackson

Melanie Griffith


I prefer to concentrate on things I might be able to accomplish in the areas of feeling younger. Use it or lose it and healthy habits often work.

No comments:

Post a Comment