Thursday, September 11, 2014

POST-IT-ITIS

Post-It-itis:  to be afflicted with a dire attachment to using Post Its.


You won't find this disease in Wikipedia but you will in Kathypedia.  I made up both words.
One can never have too many.


We keep Post Its everywhere--by the phone, on the home piano, in the piano bench at church, in the car, in the desk, in the junk drawer.  How did we ever live before Post Its and hairspray? 

No one got the idea and then stayed up nights to invent it.   A man named Spencer Silver worked in the 3M research laboratories in 1970 trying to find a strong adhesive. Silver developed a new adhesive, but it was weaker than what 3M already manufactured. It stuck to objects, but could be easily lifted off. It was super weak instead of super strong. 
Arthur Fry

No one knew what to do with the stuff, but Silver kept it. Then one Sunday four years later, another 3M scientist named Arthur Fry was singing in his church choir. He used paper markers to keep his place in the hymnal, but they kept falling out of the book.  Then he remembered Silver's weak adhesive. He used some to coat his bookmarks.  Success!  They stayed in place yet lifted off without any damage to the hymn pages. 3M began distributing Post-it Notes nationwide in 1980, ten years after Silver developed the adhesive. Today they are one of the most popular office products available.

I just love that they were born during choir practice.  I have some of my best times there too. Unfortunately sometimes the need to rehearse music cuts into my antics, fellowship and creativity during choir practice!  


Recently I reconnected with an old college friend, Doug Randlett.  He and I used to cut up during college choir where his brother, Professor Dave Randlett, tried to direct us.  We disagree on which of us was the instigator.  They both went on to teach at Liberty University, where my son, Kent, got his masters. One of his professors was my old classmate, Doug Randlett.  (This paragraph is a sidebar, rabbit trail, an example of poor writing with no cohesiveness to the subject.)


My beautifully cluttered cabinet door.
Speaking of cohesiveness, back to Post-it-itis.  (That sentence is a good example of a forced segue.)  My Doug is a romantic and I love that about him.  One way he expresses love is by leaving me little notes.  When I read them and smile, I then put them on the inside of my kitchen cabinets to save and savor.  They then continue to make me smile and feel loved every time I reach for a coffee cup.


I came out of Curves one day and saw a yellow note on my windshield.  The familiar handwriting told me Doug passed by and saw my car.  He still makes me smile.


I leave them tucked away in his luggage, shaving kit, shoes, etc. when he goes on a trip.  He gradually finds them.


Our kids come home to visit and get an occasional touch of Post-it-itis too.  Katy left this one:



Kimberly left this:



Even our newborn grandson, Sean, once left us one:



(Did I mention our grandchildren are extremely gifted and able to write soon after birth?)


If you know of a cure for this disease, keep it to yourself.  I've actually grown very comfortable with the affliction around our house!  We all must suffer some so I gladly bear the Post-it burden!


Sticking around,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment