Friday, March 28, 2014

FAN OF BASEBALL (Yogisms)

The 2014 season of Major League Baseball in North America begins in two days on March 30. Impressed that I know that?  Don't be.  If Wikipedia can be trusted, let them impress you because that's where I dug out that nugget.  At least it's one sport I do understand and played a bit in my youth.



I'm moved particularly by one character in baseball. He's considered by many to be one of the best catchers.  But I like him because we share similar skills.  Not on the field but with foot-in-mouth quotes. Yogi Berra is a guy I love and laugh at! You will too at some of his famous lines.  They're affectionately know as 

Yogisms:

I never said most of the things I said.

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half if physical.

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.

Little League baseball is very good because it keeps parents off the street.

If  you come to a fork in the road, take it.

It's like deja-vu all over again.

I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia.  Let them walk to school like I did.

Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.


Nobody goes there anymore.  It's too crowded.

It ain't the heat, it's the humility.

He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious.

I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

Slump?  I ain't in no slump. . .I just ain't hitting.  

Even Napoleon had his Watergate.



So I'm ugly.  So what?  I never saw anyone hit with his face.

Pair up in threes.

A lot of guys go, 'Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.'  I tell 'em, 'I don't know any.'  They want me to make one up.  I don't make 'em up.  I don't even know when I say it. They're the truth. And it is the truth.  I don't know.









I don't mean to be funny.


But you truly are,Yogi!  
                 Without even trying.

PLAY BALL, YA'LL!

No comments:

Post a Comment