Friday, March 1, 2013

OOPS! WRONG RESTROOM!

"I need to stop for a restroom break, Doug."

"OK.  But you know the kids will wake up."

I glanced at the back seat of slumbering children and shrugged.  Middle of the night or not, a necessary room was necessary.

The car barely stopped as I dashed into the gas station restroom.  As I washed my hands, I noticed a sign over the toilet:

That doesn't make sense, I thought.  Then I pondered and suddenly realized . . .UNLESS you're in a MEN'S ROOM!  I left as quickly as I'd entered, thankful for the cover of darkness.
~~~
I'm not the only female to burst into a men's room though.  Doug drove a busload of teens on a ski trip and made the restroom stop.  The teen boys quickly returned to the bus so he took his turn in the men's room.  

Meanwhile the larger number of teen girls was waiting in a long line.  Mary Ann announced, "All the guys are done!  I'm gonna' use their restroom and not wait!"  She flung open the door to see her youth pastor, wide eyed.  Talk about making indelible marks on the lives of our youth!
~~~
I repeated my mistake at the Welcome Center in Charleston, SC.  It was one of those split foyer deals and I split into the wrong side.  Seeing several startled men standing before sinks and urinals, I screamed, "AKKKKKKK! I'm so sorry!"  

To which one white headed Yankee chuckled, "It's OK.  We just thought that's how you southerners welcomed us."
                  ~~~
Others share my pain as an unnamed wife tells her story:

"Over the years my husband and I have usually managed to decode the cute, but sometimes confusing, gender signs put on restaurants' restroom doors.  Buoys and Gulls, Laddies and Lassies we deciphered but every so often we get stumped.  

Recently at our hotel restaurant, Dave wandered off in search of the facility. He found himself confronted by two marked doors.  One was labeled Bronco, the other was designated Cactus.  Completely baffled, he asked a passing employee, 'Excuse me.  I need to use the restroom.' Gesturing toward the doors, he asked, 'Which one should I use?'

"Actually, sir, we prefer you go there," the employee said, pointing to a door down the hall marked Men.  "Bronco and Cactus are private dining rooms." 
~~~
Sometimes a picture is worth 1,000 confusing words!


No comments:

Post a Comment