Thursday, November 20, 2014

MY INSOMNIA ANTICS

A few weeks ago I had one of those rare nights.  Actually it's nearly 3 AM so it's technically morning.  After 2 hours sleep, a quick trip to the bathroom leads to this!  Hours awake.  Experience has taught me that watching the clock does not induce sleep.  So I get up.


Straighten a closet. Eat some pineapple.  Mend a dress,  Play Scramble with Friends, even though they're probably sound asleep. Read. Pray. Finally found an old college friend awake when she just "Liked" a blog I posted. So we chatted briefly on private message via Facebook.




By nature I'm a night owl.  Rearing children or working regular hours didn't allow for that.  But now my lifestyle lets me stay up late and sleep in.  Teaching piano begins mid afternoon, so like a second shift worker, my body clock finally matches my schedule.

But INSOMNIA is different.  It discombobulates day and night, sleep patterns and rest.

As I sit here, however, a part of me likes it. The quiet is deafening.  Clocks tick.  The refrigerator hums. That's it.  Darkness surrounds me and the house is cool. Alone is good. I know the doorbell won't ring.  The phone won't either. No piano student will walk in.  I'm comfortable in the cocoon and mystery of insomnia.

David found a meaningful purpose in sleepless nights.

Psalms 119:148
My eyes anticipate the night watches, That I may meditate on Your word.

I'm not alone after all.  God is here.  With me.  Insomnia can be a good thing.  Like most things in life, it all depends on my attitude. I love to read in bed so maybe I'll grab my Bible and. . .




1 comment:

  1. I rarely cannot sleep. Honestly, I sleep like a log and could do it for 10 hours a night if I had the time. However, I have a routine that helps me sleep which might help others. Every night as I'm going to sleep, I start repeating various lists: the Ten Commandments, the Fruit of the Spirit, the Seven deadly Sins and am usually asleep by then. Of course, these lists also help me to think back thro' my day and if I feel I've failed to live up to, or exhibit, any of these things, I deal with them. Then, if I'm still awake, I start quoting scripture...every verse I can remember until I realize it is morning and I've slept well. Then, first thing in the morning I thank G-d for allowing me to live another day on Earth...and that my husband is with me. Then I'm ready for the new day's adventure. So blessed. If sleep is what you desire, perhaps this will help. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete