Friday, November 16, 2012

NANA'S TEXTING

Sometimes ya gotta learn new things just to communicate with your kids and grands!  Like texting.  I'm getting there.

On the other hand, I think they need to learn a bit about our senior citizen acronymns.  While I'm not yet using these, I am memorizing them, because learning new things is my own version of Altzheimer prevention plan. 

Here's your crash course in Nana's Future Texting Code 101:

ADT - At The Doctor's
BFF - Best Friend Fell
BTW - Bring The Wheelchair
BYOT - Bring Your Own Teeth
FWIW - Forgot Where I Was
GGPBL - Gotta Go, Pacemaker Battery's Low
GHA - Got Heartburn Again
IMHAO - Is My Hearing Aid On
LMDO - Laughing My Dentures Out
OMMR - On My Massage Recliner
OMSG - Oh My!  Sorry, Gas
ROFLACGU - Rolling On Floor Laughing And Can't Get Up
TTYL - Talk To You Louder

I used to dread hearing my folks or grandparents begin a sentence with, "Now in my day we. . ."  I knew I was about to learn (whether I wanted to or not) some useless information.


Now in my day, since it's passed, we had rock music that today is sleepy elevator music. However, rock music is here because of us.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad but we do accept full responsibility.  "Rock on!" for us now has more to do with rocking chairs.

Now in my day, we were saturated with good music as well.  Classical music was part of our Saturday cartoons. Violence?  Yes, but the quality music negated the effect on us. This is known as justification. You didn't invent that either!




Now in my day, we had dreams too but were taught to work and wait for them. We didn't expect others to hand them out for free. We knew we weren't entitled. We don't stop dreaming when we age.  But our aspirations are realistic and practical. Here's one I may find in my future!

I'm so thankful I didn't kill my kids that year I had three teenagers under the same roof. Because they gave us our beautiful, handsome grandkids, now numbering 13!  It's God's reward for wading through motherhood and reaching old age.



So please be patient with us.  We were with you. Mostly.



3 comments:

  1. Melanie Drew Hale wrote on facebook:

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty Raper wrote:

    I am with you! My 12 year old (and my 7 yr. old) grandchildren tell me how to use my "smart" phone and my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth Isgett Poston wrote:

    Harrell identified all of the cartoon figures. So you know he watched a lot of cartoons as a child and still does! He says that I am a "poor deprived child who did not get to watch all those cartoons."
    9 hours ago · Like

    Kathy Tippett Henderson wrote:

    He's right. So sit back now with him and get educated in Looney Tunes, young'un! I'm listening to his song to you right now. You belong to each other for sure!
    9 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete