Friday, June 8, 2012

WOOK AT MY WIPS

She was a good mother, busy checking off her To Do list one routine item after another.
  • clothes folded
  • supper simmering
  • trash collected
  • groceries into the pantry
She had just enough time to balance the checkbook and maybe write that overdue thank you note. With bank statement spread before her, she concentrated on the figures.

A helium voice pierced her calculating, "Mommy! I'm a pwrincess! See me twirling?"


Without turning to look, the good mother murmured, "Yes, Honey. That's nice."

Moments later her daughter's cheery voice interrupted again, "Mommy! I made my own crown. It's pink and it sparkles. Isn't it pretty?"

"Mm-hmmm, sure is, Baby."

But her baby knew Mommy was busy. Busy not noticing a twirling princess topped with a homemade crown. But she tried once more, "Mommy, come play ball with me."

"Later, Honey."

"Mommy!" she called in vain as the good mother worked on. Finally the little princess climbed into her mother's lap. She wedged her cherub body between her mother and the pile of bills, checks and bank statements.

Nose to nose, she placed small, dimpled hands on her mother's cheeks, pulled her right to her little lips and begged in one last attempt, "MOMMY! 'Wook at my 'wips!"

And finally I pushed away my checkbook and looked into my daughter's eyes for the first time that afternoon. She got my full attention at last. I left my list of motherly duties to become a mother. We played princess and queen in her kingdom now.
Yes. . .the story is in the first person. It's my sad, but true story, my confession actually.



Mothers today struggle as I did.  Perhaps technology is their distraction.  A young mother shares her insights on the same subject.  It's a blog post worth reading for mothers.

* * *
Good Christians also busy themselves doing God's work daily, especially on Sundays. Teachers teach. Singers sing. Pianists play. Ushers greet and take up the offering. Everyone sings. We talk about and chant praises to God. But I wonder what heaven truly hears. . .

I wonder if Abba Papa knows we're busy working for Him but maybe too busy to truly see Him, be with Him, to crawl into lap and truly look at His lips as He begs us to,
"Be still and know that I am God."

Our only response should be, as He taught us to say,

"Thy kingdom come. . ."

Be sure you're not so busy FOR God that you forget ABOUT God.

". . .Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

Look full in His wonderful face.



4 comments:

  1. Melanie Drew Hale wrote on facebook:

    Wonderful blog, Kathy! Wiping tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia Carpenter Zeigler wrote:

    Loved it. Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law wrote:

    Great blog Kathy, don’t always tell you but you do a great job!
    Love you,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda Walker Ragan wrote:

    Touched me, see myself here so much . . .

    ReplyDelete