Friday, April 1, 2011

IT TAKES A WORRIED MAN (OR WOMAN)

Anyone else remember that old song?  You'll hear it at the end of this blog.


It takes a worried man 
to sing a worried song.
I'm a-worried now 
but I won't be worried long.

When our three children were home I worried about many things from their health to their futures.  When they entered their futures I found new worries about them, like their safety on the road traveling home for vacations.

This week I had several conversations with friends proving I'm not alone in my worries.  

"I'm worried about my job security.  This economy is tough.  It's chewed and spit out friends of mine."

"My son used to go to church.  He nearly died last week in the hospital.  I'm worried about his spiritual condition."

"I'm concerned about our church.  It all seems to be unraveling.  Everything's just coming apart."

"My daughter's being bullied.  It's hard to watch that and not want to punch someone out!"

Everyone has worries.  But one voice reminded me what to do with them.

"I started praying about this everytime it came to mind, instead of worrying or griping about it.  God answered my prayer today.  Someone who wasn't speaking to me came up and hugged me."  He knew God alone had healed a broken relationship.

A mother wrote about her worries for a son on a wrestling team who was traveling through a snow storm.  

I've struggled with this issue of worry over my children's safety since they were born. Because of my tendency to worry, I have the potential to be over-protective. However, years ago, God revealed to me that my fears were born more out of my lack of trust than a healthy concern. The truth was I believed my children were only safe when they were in my care. The reality of this fallen world is my children are only safe in the care of God.

Many of us will deal with anxiety over our children's safety, as well as countless other things. Instead of being overcome with worry, I've learned to identify the worries that come when I've misplaced my trust. It prompts me to pray more, trust more, and enjoy more of life with my children. By the way, my son and his wrestling team made it home safely that day and my prayer life has been stronger ever since.

Don't wait half a century to learn the lesson I finally did.  The choice is simple:
WORRY or PRAY

It's a habit either way and takes a conscious effort to change.  As I asked God to help me with this struggle, He did.  I'm pretty worry free now.  When I feel those old tendancies wrap tentacles around my heart, I pray.   Immediately.


Sometimes when I share this with my fellow worriers the first thing out of their mouths is, "Yeah, but. . ."
  • my problem is unique
  • this person is just so _________
  • the diagnosis was bad
  • it's been going on so many years
  • the addiction is so strong
  • I've tried everything to fix it
  • I'm just sick and tired of
To my fellow Yeah-Buts, be reminded that your problem, crisis, circumstance or person in God's hands is
  • not unique
  • redeemable
  • healable or manageable
And God 
  • is long-suffering, not limited by time
  • can break addictive strongholds or free you from enabling
  • can fix it (He's God.  You're not.)
  • is never sick or tired.  His mercies are fresh daily.  Release it!
Truth is easy to understand.  Solutions can be simple in our heads.  However, ACTION takes intention and consistency!  Start today.  Pray your worries into God's capable hands.  Then leave them there.  Shift. 


Watch Him work
  • His way
  • on His timetable (which may seem slow to you, but He's right on time)
  • without your help or interference
  • when your only words about it are in prayer (not griping, nagging or gossiping)
God is bigger than cancer, addictions, pain, financial loss, adultery, abandonment, relational problems, depression, even family traveling on interstates!  Nothing is too hard for Him.   When you hand it over, you'll feel freer, lighter, less judgmental, less critical, less burdened with worry and full of hope, joy and trust.  Pretty good swap I've found!


This old song is quite a throwback (reminds me of O Brother!  Where Art Thou?)  It's the first song Rod Stewart learned to play on guitar.  
It Takes a Worried Man by The Stanley Brothers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMJz-puzniU&feature=related

Carefree Kathy
Casting all your cares on Him because He cares for you.

2 comments:

  1. Just what I needed today. Thank you. Love you. You're my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Mama!

    ReplyDelete