Tuesday, January 8, 2019

MY NEW YEAR'S REVELATION

Many years ago after church we asked Kimberly and Kent, "How was children's church?"

"Fine," they dueted.

"What did you learn?" I probed for full sentences.

Kent piped up, "We learned about New Year's RESERVATIONS!"

Big sister, Kimberly, confidently corrected him, "No, Kent!  It's New Year's REVOLUTIONS!"

Our laughter cued them to clam up, a bit less confident, until one mumbled, "Maybe. . .Revelations?"

I'm not big on New Year's RESOLUTIONS either.  Never have been.  Maybe I have a defeatist attitude but it's not my habit. 

This year I began to hear or read about an idea that appealed to me though.  So I've decided to choose a New Year's WORD.  I prayed about it this week, asking the Lord to clarify my annual desires into one specific word.  It came to me yesterday.  My word this year is:

Doug carved this into a pallet board I found and it hangs where I see it often.

We usually associate it with food. 





But I found many interesting things one can savor:























Coming closer to my heart's intention is:



I want to be fully present in every moment of life.  If I listen to a friend, I want to give her my undivided attention.  If I'm watching a good movie, I want to resist multi-tasking, though I THINK I'm good at it.  No one actually is!  If I'm reading something worthwhile it deserves my full concentration.

We all know how it feels to be sharing with someone and realize their eyes, mind and attention are wandering, clearly not focused on our words.  Listening is a skill I try to develop.  What a gift, however, to open my heart to someone who
* nods as I speak
* leans in
* shows empathy in facial expression

Life is a gift from God.  When I pray, I know He hears every word.  Of course He is God and I am not.  So for me to SAVOR each moment I am blessed to live, I'll need His help to avoid distractions.  

To me, this is a bigger task for 2019 than a resolution.  I can't do it without Him.  ADD was not a diagnosis when I was young.  However, I may have invented it!

So I suppose it must begin with SAVORING my SAVIOR daily. I want my prayers to be a sweet smelling savor to Him.  I want to practice the PRESENCE of the Great I AM, to be in the present tense.

Distractions for me come primarily in pondering the
* FUTURE--To Do lists, worries, schedules
                           OR
* PAST--regrets, hurts, should'ves

There it is again!  I can only live life or worship in THIS MOMENT.

Lord, help me to savor Your goodness.  Keep me aware of the gifts of FRIENDSHIPS, MINISTRY, FAMILY, MUSIC, FOOD, WORK, PLAY and LAUGHTER.  Protect me from a life too busy or too cluttered.
In Jesus' Name,
Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment