Tuesday, May 12, 2020

MOTHER'S DAY


One of my sweetest gifts came on Mother's Day from my firstborn.  Kimberly reminded me of the title she bestowed on me when she made me a mother.  Then a lifetime of blessings followed through Kent and Katy. Facebook was her stage and podium.


 



So, my mama's better (and funnier and wackier and cooler) than yours was a game I won. Every. Time. I'm convinced that some of my dates, when I was a teen were guys actually crushing on my mom (sheesh).

Requiring costumes for airport pickups, impromptu (daily!!) singalongs, giggly ugly hat try-ons (often unappreciated by sales staff) were just everyday life with Mom. There's a reason Brian and Karen Tippett Hampton call her "Crazy Aunt Kathy."

Impressively, she's also a passionate Jesus-follower, authentic before it was cool, secure in her identity, and warrior-conqueror through soul-crushing trials. She truly leans on Jesus. Her humility, love for Christ, energy and natural leadership are magnetic.

Now, incredibly, she was a stay-at-home mom, packing lunches with love notes, supporting us through learning multiple instruments and hobbies, cheering our academic progress and just teaching old-fashioned life skills.

She did it all with such grace and zaniness (sooo much wacky, dark humor. We choose to embrace our weirdness). She balanced mercy and truth. She championed us, yet kicked our butts, when needed.
She set the bar high for motherhood, then grandmotherhood.

Thanks, Mom, for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment