Thursday, October 2, 2014

16 FLOWERS THAT LOOK LIKE SOMETHING ELSE


Doug came in today with these roses.  I cut a few fronds from our ferns to add to the vase.  A rose is a rose and looks like a rose. Not so with all flowers as you can see below!

I find pareidolia fascinating.  It's when something appears to be something else. A recent blog was my introduction to this new word and concept. This post zeroes in on flowers, mostly orchids, that resemble something else. 

When this happens in nature I think God might be revealing His marvelous sense of humor, irony and creativity. He tucks away these gems for our discovery.  I smile and think He smiles back. Care to join us?




#1.  These look like happy aliens. (Calceolaria Uniflora)





#2. Swaddled babies (Anguloa Uniflora)





#3. Monkey face orchid (Dracula Simia)







#4. Moth orchid (Phalaenopsis)







#5. Laughing bumble bee orchid (Ophrys bomybliflora)






#6. Naked man orchid (Orchis Italica)





#7. Hooker's lips (Psychotria Elata)




#8. Parrot flower (Impatiens Psittacina)






#9. Angel orchid (Habenaria Grandifloriformis)





#10. Flying duck orchid (Caleana Major)





#11. White egret orchid (Habenaria Radiata)





#12. Candy skulls are Snap Dragon Seed Pods (Antirrhinum)




#13. Dancing girls (Impatiens Bequaertii)





#14. Ballerinas




#15. Tiger Face




#16. Dove orchid or Holy Ghost orchid (Peristeria Elata)


                                         




























My family must have this same wit because I remember attending my Uncle Roy's funeral years ago. He was Mama's oldest brother. Their younger brother, Uncle Duck, looked tenderly at some flowers on the fresh grave.  Wiping away a tear, he leaned my way and quietly said. "Look!  Your Uncle Roy has little boy flowers!"  Here's what I saw.



Years later I learned. . .
Little boy flowers (Red Anthurium)

No comments:

Post a Comment